Thursday, August 11, 2011

Could I abruptly discontinue a low-dose SSRI? How long would the effects of the medication linger?

When it comes to anti-depressants, my reservations could fill a novel. But my options are running out and a doctor I have been seeing seems to indicate that I'd really benefit from one, going as far as writing me a prescription. Now, much of my willingness to go through with taking an antidepressant stems on the ability to quit the moment any adverse effects are noticed, and because it's only a 10mg dose, my doctor has assured me that I can do that. Now, I hear that it takes several weeks for this drug (an SSRI, I think its Zoloft) to start working, but if I were to discontinue it, how much longer would it take to flush these effects out of my system, another three weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment